We have all heard of Dale Carnegie the great conversationalist. His book, “How to Win Friends and Influence People” is a bible on how to carry on a conversation with virtually anyone. Yet how many people have heard of the FORD method of conversation? It is a simple technique that works in virtually any social setting.
This is how it works.
Simply follow the FORD letter sequence through the conversation and listen for opportunities to ask questions for more information.
F = From:
- Where are you from originally?
- Is your family from there as well?
- Are you Married and do you have children?
- Have you lived other places?
- Have you traveled to other places?
- How did you get from there to here?
O = Occupation:
- What do you do for a living?
- What do you do on a daily basis?
- What do you like most about what you do?
- What other jobs have you had?
- What would your dream job be?
R = Recreation:
- What are the clubs you belong to?
- What are your Hobbies? (gardening, fishing, golfing, running, working out)
- What are your Interests? (reading, TV, writing, movies, music)
- Would you consider any of these passions?
- What Sports do you like?
- Which ones do you do now or have you participated in?
- Do you have Pets?
D = Doing/Dreams:
- What projects are working on now?
- What do you have coming up in the future?
- What are your dreams? (This can be business-focused, personal-focused or both.)
Follow the FORD sequence and the other person will begin talking about their favorite topic, THEMSELVES!!! Few of us have people engage us in conversations about us so when it happens it is special. In fact we think the other person we are talking to is special too. They have to be, they are interested in us!!!
Herm Haffner of Total Solutions works with entrepreneurs, sales people and business owners to increase sales. Through One-on-One Coaching he gets the business focused on the most profitable areas and helps get sales closed doing what ever it takes.